200VDC breakers.... formerly Plug-in Hybrid kWh/day [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Wed Jun 25 09:50:11 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

This started with the EV idea, we're solar charging vehicle batteries
with nominal voltages of 120 to 156 vdc. So we're not even stepping
down the array voltage.
We've only had one supplier (Solar Converters Inc in Canada) that
could make us a controller to do this.
We only need currents below 10 amps, since you can only put so many
modules on a vehicle.
We've been using Heinemans and Midnite breakers at these voltages for
years, but we're not constrained by UL or the NEC when working on EVs.
We just follow standard practices of the EV world.

Ray

On Jun 25, 2008, at 9:58 AM, Phil Undercuffler wrote:

> I don't think you need 100A 200+ VDC rated breakers.  You should
> need 25
> amp 200 volt, and 100 amp ~70+ VDC rated breakers, assuming a 48v
> battery bank.  15 amp 200 VDC breakers on the array side if you have a
> 24v battery (which could also then serve the handy function of series
> overcurrent protection).
>
> The one big advantage of the high voltage controllers is the array
> side
> is kept at low current.
>
> Also keep in mind that (690.7(D), Circuits Over 150V to Ground, adds a
> limitation that live parts "shall not be accessible to other than
> qualified personnel," and the FPN then refers us to 110.27 and 210.6.
> Dead front covers on equipment, at the least.
>
> On a separate discussion, I'm still trying to figure out WTF the FPN
> refers us to 210.6, as it seems to apply to branch circuits &
> luminaires.  Unless we're supposed to consider the charge controller a
> "permanently connected utilization equipment...?"

> Phil Undercuffler
> Director, Battery-based and Off-grid
> Conergy, Inc.
> Our World is Full of Energy