620 VDC [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin Drake.Chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Jun 26 12:37:31 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Hello Wrenches,

Some inverters are able to withstand voltages above 600 VDC.  The
Solectria 95KW can take up to 620 VDC without harming the electronics.

If we size a system so that the record low temperature is gives a
voltage of under 620 VDC, a viable system can be installed.  There is
a question, however, about the Code compliance of this, since
building wire is rated at 600 volts.  Higher voltage wiring is
available, but will likely not be cheap or convenient to use.  Also,
what about 600 V modules and PV cable?

Since this is DC, there are not any cycles to create a voltage
peak.  A 600 VAC RMS nominal system can have (if my calculations are
correct) a peak voltage of close to 850 volts.  Also, system voltages
can range up to 10% from the nominal, resulting in voltages of as
high as 660 VAC RMS on 600 volt systems.

The question is, "can we have a system with a possible
low-temperature, open circuit voltage of 620 VDC with wiring and
modules rated for 600 volts?  Can the other 20 volts be considered
within the nominal range?

Thanks,

Drake

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com