grundfos sqflex [RE-wrenches]

Walt Ratterman wratterman at SunEnergyPower.com
Mon Jun 23 14:59:24 PDT 2008

Hey Jay,

We did just what Windy suggests in Benin, Africa, when we were sucking water
from a river.  Not exactly a pond, but close.  We used 6" pvc well casing
pipe, drilled 100 - .5" holes in it, wrapped it in fabric, jammed it into
the riverbed, fastened it to a "bridge" across the river with rebar, and
lowered the suction assembly into it.  (In this case, we had a centrifugal
pump on shore, but the same principal would work if we were installing a
submersible pump.)

Let me know if you want any pictures - crocodiles and all....

See ya,

Walt

-----Original Message-----
From: Windy Dankoff [mailto:windydankoff at mac.com]
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008 2:50 PM
To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
Subject: RE: grundfos sqflex [RE-wrenches]

Jay,

I just noticed Bob-O's reply, which reminds me -- You can reduce
intake of debris and provide a sleeve at the same time. Here is the
best idea I know for the job.

Get a piece of plastic 5 or 6" pipe, perforated or slit. Ideally it
would be a scrap of actual perforated well casing -- that would have
sufficiently narrow slits for the purpose, sized for the needs of a
normal well pump in earth.

Of course you need to seal the ends. One end has a simple cap. The
other end needs a pass-through fitting for the drop pipe. You can make
that using a compression fitting that's sold for pipe repairs (fits
over the pipe's OD). With threaded adapters and reducers, you can make
that up so that it forms a scew-off end for the sleeve. Passing the
cable through is next, but it doesn't have to be leak-proof, so just a
snug hole is OK.

Ponds grow algae, so the next stage of protection is to wrap the
sleeve with about 5 layers of black weed barrier fabric -- the black
fuzzy coarse fabric that landscapers lay down before gravel, to stop
plant growth. That has been known to work well in some troubling
conditions. In your case, the finely-slit casing section is probably
adequate since bits of algae are not abrasive and generally don't pose
a problem.

Site conditions vary, and so does my memory, but this is general
advice that I hope is helpful.

Windy

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: