multiple grid-tie inverter interaction [RE-wrenches]

Aaron Wellendorf Aaron at stellarenergy.com
Tue Jun 10 08:44:09 PDT 2008

Aaron Wellendorf
Jeff,

I have seen only one time where one grid-tied inverter affected another
grid-tied inverter on the same subpanel. It was on a dual Xantrex SW5548
system with 10kW of PV. The utility voltage was higher than normal. The
120/240V service was measured at around 126/252V and with both of the
inverters backfeeding the voltage neared 128/256V. One of the SW's
started to back off the power being fed to the grid to keep from raising
the voltage too high. When the grid voltage dropped back to normal
values, both inverters worked normally again.

I have multiple grid-tie inverters from multiple manufacturers on the
same 200A residential service: 2 SB6000, 2 GT3.8, 1 PVP5200, 1 IG5100. I
have never seen a conflict between this mix. However, due to my somewhat
remote location on the grid, my service voltage is typically around
118/236V without any inverters on.

Aaron Wellendorf

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php