Outdoor Equipment Ground Conductor [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Sun May 18 11:09:58 PDT 2008

I recently received a nice folder of cut sheets from Tyco Electronics.

They now have a SolKlip Ground Clip that works with #10 and #12 bare solid.
As far as the clip goes, I wouldn't switch to it from the WEEB since it
still relies on a single self tapping screw.

However, my question is about the Equipment Ground Conductor which is
something of a pick up on an old thread.

Assuming that the EGC is protected from physical damage by being installed
underneath the module frames or otherwise protected, I can't find anything
in the Code that puts any restriction on the type of conductor used.  If
someone is aware of any specific Article in the Code bearing on this I would
be interested to know (not the references to Ground Electrode Conductors
being #6 solid).

So the question becomes one of good practice.

I can now see how folks would say that it is not good practice to strip 19
strand insulated wire and use it as an EGC.  I can't see that it is
prohibited by Code, but is probably not good practice since the many small
strands are excessively subject to corrosion and degradation especially from
moisture that may become trapped underneath remaining insulated sections. (I
feel the same but more strongly about the tinned braided straps that have
been used although here the issue for me is more one of the termination).

However, I personally feel that a #8 bare 7 strand EGC is robust enough to
hold up in a 30 year outdoor application.  Again, I can't find anything in
the Code that would prohibit this, but have gotten the impression that some
Wrenches feel that even 7 strand is subject to corrosion degradation over
time.  Or is it OK because there is no insulating jacket to capture and hold
moisture, accelerating corrosion?

MPF

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php