Fire Department Setback warning [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Wed May 14 22:28:08 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Bill:

If the new document was released today, then the information I posted
yesterday was current at the time.  I do know that the document I referred
to is still gospel in the City of San Luis Obispo.

Do we know if LAFD will adopt the Cal Fire "Final Draft" or will they stick
with their current policy?  The LAFD seems to be leading local
jurisdictions at this time.

The Cal Fire "Final Draft" standards for residential, when applied
retroactively to homes I have installed in the last 6 months, just for
analysis, will only disqualify approximately 70% of the jobs, not
90%.  This is still a big setback and I am hoping there is a technological
solution that will allow more roof coverage and still allow fire fighters
the access they need for safe operations.

The LAFD document mentions both hardware and electrical "quick
disconnects".  A quick read and a word search of the Cal Fire final draft
does not turn up the concept.  This is too bad because I was hoping we
could negotiate encroachment into the setback area if panels could be
jettisoned safely, quickly and without tools.  I have already developed a
few ideas for this and have contacted some rack manufacturers regarding
R&D.  One can only hope there is a compromise.

Thanks again Bill, for providing this document.  I will read it more
carefully this evening.

William Miller

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php