Load consumption resource query [RE-wrenches]

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Thu May 1 14:39:49 PDT 2008

Alan,

I gave away an Excel spreadsheet a few months ago that allows you to fill in
the blanks for appliance and lighting. If you know the power consumption and
number of hours per day, its plug and play. It has some typical values
(power consumption and hours per day) for std appliances and lighting. It
even sizes the PV system that would eliminate the bill (assumes 4.25
kWh/day/kWp). Contact me off line if you want a copy.

A typical Los Angeles single family dwelling needs about 2 Wp of PV per
sqft.

Finally  here are some typical avg numbers:

Toaster : 1000 W
Microwave : 900-1200 W
Dishwasher : 1200 W
Washing Machine : 500 W
Vacuum Cleaner : 500 W
Iron : 1000 W
Electric Clothes dryer : 4000 W
Ceiling Fan : 25 W
Table Fan : 15 W
Electric Blanket : 200 W
Hair Blow dryer : 1200 W
Electric Shaver : 15 W
Laptop Computer : 75 W
Desktop Computer : 150 W
TV (19" color) : 70 W
TV (25" color) : 150 W
TV (61" plasma) : ?
Clock radio : 5 W
Refrigerator / Freezer : 500 W

Actually, new appliances have annual electrical tag on them, and newer
appliances are more efficient than older ones.

Regards,

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php