tracking off-grid [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Apr 17 20:24:41 PDT 2008

William,
I am responding to your comment about tracking off-grid, as we seldom track
off-grid. My logic is that tracking adds about 40% to daily output in the
summer but only 15% or so in the winter. As trackers are considerably more
expensive than fixed (usually pole-top) racks, we usually elect to spend the
marginal cost of a tracker on more array. This is because the same $$$ spent
on PV buys a greater increase in average daily winter output, when it's most
needed. There are exceptions and special cases, such as larger off-grid
systems with relatively modest arrays, where the tracker meets all needs
part of the year and propane in the gennie covers more during winter.

We will track grid-tie if the customer's property allows it, they want it
and like the visibility, etc., because all power produced is credited, so
summer excess generation is used to benefit. But a tracker seems to provide
the most off-grid benefit when it's least needed. I'm interested in your
thoughts on this.

Allan at Positive Energy