Big Offgrid System Request for Guidance [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Mon Apr 14 16:27:02 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

--On Monday, April 14, 2008 3:51 PM -0600 Allan Sindelar <allan at positiveenergysolar.com> wrote:

> Very preliminary load profile is estimated at well over 300 kilowatt-hours
> per day before system losses.
>
> 2)	Mechanicals could end up being over 1,000' from the lodge. This is a
> long distance to run AC. Who makes higher-voltage equipment, such as 480V
> (hopefully nobody, but I need to know the range of options)? As an
> alternative, how is single-phase 240VAC best carried long distances

Do you need 240V for heating elements, or is 120/208V workable?

A 4160/2400 V feeder might make sense for this.  3Ø transformers are smaller and slightly more efficient, plus any big motor loads (think elevator, large HVAC) will thank you.  Speaking of HVAC, how much of that 300 kVA budget is for air conditioning?  You might want to look into using parabolic trough collectors with a chiller.

.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com