International Association of Electrical Inspectors [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Fri Mar 7 09:57:53 PST 2008

Thanks Chris,

I hear what you are saying.

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
271 Vistamont Dr
Grass Valley CA 95945
(530) 401-8024
www.berkeleysolar.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Meier [mailto:chrism at unirac.com]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 9:45 AM
To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
Subject: RE: International Association of Electrical Inspectors
[RE-wrenches]

	The NEC refers to UL standards as the recognized standards for
testing components. Unfortunately I do not have the lines or the
reference to say he can not interpret UL standards in a way contrary to
the standards. But as known in other industries it is not the inspectors
place to open a piece of equipment and say a component of the equipment
can not be used if a testing organization has accepted and listed it as
meeting UL standard. What is out of my knowledge range is if he can pick
which standard he wants used for the testing. In my past experience it
was the testing lab that selected the proper standard and performed the
test not the inspectors. UL467 is the general testing standard for
grounding options baring the existence of a specific standard. Since
1703 does not have that standard then by default ETL has established the
467 standards as the only one that applies. The biggest issue here is
not whether the inspector has the right but does he understand the
standard he is trying to use does not cover alternate means of grounding
and I would hope he is open to expanding his view of the standards and
not just pulling the God card that some inspectors like to play. This
issue is also interesting because you do not use UL1703, conduit, lugs,
wire and racking. The appropriate standard is used for these items.
There is currently only two grounding lugs in existence that have been
tested to UL1703 but tons that have been tested to UL467 which lugs are
you using? If you are like me the ones you use whether they are test to
467 or 1703 I feel do the job safely.

	I personally feel it is a bad day if we can not sit with an
inspector and explore the issues because we or they feel they have
ultimate power and that there is no room for open discussion. Nowhere in
the intent of any code was it meant do what I say because I said so. The
sprite of the codes is do what I say because code and the standards it
refers to says so and here it is.

Again these are my views and I am not set in stone that I am right just
bring up an argument to discuss and to learn from I may be wrong.

Chris Meier
Product Manager
UniRac, Inc.

1411 Broadway Blvd. NE