International Association of Electrical Inspectors [RE-wrenches]

Brian Wiley btw at we-llc.com
Fri Mar 7 08:33:51 PST 2008

Mr. Miller,

I think most inspectors are well intentioned, but are probably getting
their information secondhand.  If you pay the $779 to download the
standard and actually read UL1703, you would find there are no specific
requirements for grounding equipment which would allow a manufacturer to
list their products to the UL1703 standard.  If we could somehow
convince a module maker to include our parts with every one of their
modules, that module maker could have the entire system of module plus
grounding equipment listed to the standard, but don't hold your breath
on this one.

Meanwhile, if you were to apply the strictest sense of every code and
standard, I don't think you would be able to ground any module at all.
So I would ask your inspector what methods he does allow and then please
allow me to comment on their code worthiness.

I am on the UL1703 Standards Technical Panel (STP) and have been trying
to get changes made that would deal with these questions.  Rather than
help clear up the questions, UL has unilaterally tried to institute
changes of its own.  This is contrary to its charter, which calls for an
industry consensus process to change any standard.  So we have the
interesting situation that if you want to be very critical, UL itself is
not UL compliant.  Please see the following for details:
   www.we-llc.com/WEEB_nec.html#UL1703

We have done our best to make sure our products meet the intent of all
codes and standards and have found that most inspectors agree.

Best Regards,
Brian Wiley
Wiley Electronics LLC

William Miller wrote:

> Colleagues:
>
> As it so happens, the IAEI is holding a three day seminar here in our
> county seat.  The agenda included two half day sessions on PV
> installation
> code compliance and inspections.  I attended one of the sessions
> today.  The first presenter is a plan checker with the City of San
> Carlos
> California.
>
> The first issue discussed was generated by a question from an installer
> and
> was on the subject of fusing parallel strings.  I was under the
> impression
> that John Berdner's position as expressed in his white paper on fusing
> of
> strings was pretty well accepted in the industry.  This has been
> discussed
> thoroughly here in this forum.  The only caveat to Berdner's logic is
> there
> must be some proof that the inverter can not contribute to PV fault
> current, even in a failure of the inverter.  Proof can come in the form
> of
> results of independent testing and a statement from the manufacturer.
>
> The presenter does not accept this logic.  His opinion is that, if the
> PV
> manufacturer lists a maximum fuse size in any literature, an installer
> must
> install a fuse.  The mere mention of a fuse in product literature means
> that, unless specifically stated otherwise, the manufacturer requires
> one
> and manufacturer's requirements can not be waived by any language in the
> NEC.
>
> Furthermore, the presenter is not allowing use of the Wiley Electronics
> WEEB clips in his jurisdiction because the ETL listing for these clips
> is
> under UL467 which applies generically to the grounding of non-current
> carrying metallic parts.  His problem is that unless the listing is
> under
> UL1703, PV systems, the 467 listing does not allow for their use in PV
> systems.
>
> I sent an e-mail then and there to Wiley asking for clarification.
> Problem
> is, I just ordered and received about $1,000 worth of WEEB clips and all
> of
> the local inspectors where in the room hearing how they should not allow
> me
> to use these as accepted grounding.  After the session I noticed that
> Wiley
> addresses the 1703 versus 467 on their website at this
> address:  http://www.we-llc.com/WEEB.html  See the Summary for
> inspectors
> section.
>
> Do any of you on this list do business in San Carlos, and if so, how
> ever
> [...]

Brian Wiley
Wiley Electronics LLC
1131 Kings Highway