DC relay for 48V Power Vent [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Thu Feb 21 11:34:01 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies -

I did take Chris's suggestion about using a 4-Pole relay with the contacts
wired in series.  I didn't turn up a 4PST right away, but I found a 4PDT
Magnecraft (P/N 782XDX1C-12D) available from Mouser for $4.16 in single
quantities, with a nice little DIN-Mount screw terminal relay socket and
holding clip to match for about $4.00 additional.  Its contacts are rated
for 3A at 30VDC.  There's a 10 Amp rated version of the relay for $3 more
but I figured that was overkill.  They also have 24VDC and 120VAC coil
options available.

I wanted to stay with a well-established Mfr. such as Magnecraft or P&B or
Omron, available through distribution so ordering replacement spares
wouldn't be an issue.  And at that price, I don't mind passing through the
cost for providing an on-site spare from the get-go.

Windy, I'm not sure I totally concur that ~1/2 VAC contact rating is
sufficient for figuring a safe VDC rating.  It seems more like 1/4 to 1/10
ratio is what I find more commonly when there is both an AC and DC
rating.  And those DC ratings when they are given, tend to be purely
resistive loads.  A DC fan is likely to be somewhat inductive, and if I
remember correctly from my school daze an inductive load can raise the
circuit voltage relatively high for an instant when it is interrupted, as
the energy stored in the inductor attempts to maintain the flow of current.

After working with PV for a number of years I've become really sensitized
to the arcing issues involved with interrupting a DC circuit, even a small
one such as this.  Mechanical relays and contacts fail, I'd rather play it
safe.  At least in this case there wouldn't be great harm if the relay
fused shut, it would just mean that the vent fan stayed on all the time.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, UT

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com