Tax incentives for solar water pumping? [RE-wrenches]

Steve Johnson stevejohnson at comcast.net
Mon Feb 18 04:58:33 PST 2008

The 25% USDA grant for PV (among other renewable and efficiency
technologies)is called a Section 9006.

It's separate from the cost share program.  If a farmer is paying taxes
(30% tax credit), there is some kind of state or utility incentive (say
40%) and 25% by the USDA Section 9006 I think it is heck of a deal.  You
have to show 51% of your income on tax return was through an
agricultural business like a nursery, farm, etc.

I think a $100k to $200k job is worth the paperwork, but it depends on
individual situation.  There is a 0 to 3% state loan available here to
cover the up front costs till the grants and incentives come in.

Roy Butler wrote:

> What Travis says is absolutely correct.
>
> I work closely with various NRCS, SWCD and other USDA offices in NY and
> Pa. and over the
> past 8 years we've installed close to 40 pumping systems. I've heard
> those same paperwork nightmare stories myself.
>
> An interesting trend in our area is that the USDA employees are
> incredibly focused on helping the farms in their regions to
> thrive and will usually take on most of the paperwork burden themselves.
>
> Lots of good people in those offices looking
> out for the family farms. Not what you'd expect from a government
> agency!
>
> As for the original question of tax incentives being available for these
>
> systems, I am not aware of any.
> But I would certainly welcome any information that anyone finds!
>

> Roy Butler
> NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer®
> NYSERDA eligible PV & wind installer
> Four Winds Renewable Energy, LLC
> 8902 Route 46
> Arkport, NY 14807
> 607-324-9747
> www.four-winds-energy.com
>
> Although no trees were killed in the sending of this message,
> a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
>

> Travis Creswell wrote:
> > Over the years there's been variety of hybrid cost share programs in my
> > region.  They utilize both Federal and State monies.  In some cases they
> > pay
> > for 90% of the system.  I've normally seen them associated with
> > rotational
> > grazing programs and efforts to get the livestock out of running water.
> >
> > Since they require the farmer ("producer" is the PC name nowadays) to
> > fence
> > off the creek and open his farm to annual tours a high % of farmers pass
> > on
> > them.
> >
> > In the last few year a different USDA cost share program was created
> > that
> > will pay up 25% of energy projects on farms and I believe small
> > businesses.
> > But from my experience and what others have told me the paper work and
> > post
> > project requirements is nothing short of oppressive.  So unless you are
> > doing at least a $200k project you'd be better off taking a weekend job
> > at
> > McDonalds because you would earn more money in the same amount of hours
> > you'd spend working on the paperwork.  I did talk to a USDA employee
> > recently who told me that they had recently greatly simplified the
> > paperwork.

Steve Johnson
LightWave Solar Electric
Nashville, Tennessee