Why I abuse batteries was: trojan battery cycle [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Fri Feb 15 12:38:47 PST 2008

Jay:

I think I understand what you are asking for and I think we are pretty
close.

We have three different charging regimens running - Boost, Full and
Equalize.  Both the absorption voltage and time are adjustable
independently for each regimen.
Boost charge a daily "mini-equalize", i.e. charge to a slightly higher
absorption voltage for a short time.  This will get you up into the 85
to 90% SOC range.
Full charge occurs periodically, typically 14 days but it will be less
if the battery is cycled heavily.
The Full charge is a slightly lower absorption voltage but for a longer
time interval.
This should get you to 95 to 100% SOC
Equalize also occurs periodically but typically at a longer, e.g. 90 to
180 day interval.  This is to a higher absorption voltage for an
extended period of time.  For others out there not familiar with
equalization, this is a deliberate over charge that is needed
periodically to break down sulfation and mix the electrolyte to prevent
stratification (both are bad for wet cells).

Generator run start / stop points can be based on SOC AND time of day.
We give you two time intervals with differing Gen start SOC and gen stop
SOC levels.  Originally we did this to enable quiet time while still
providing a gen start if the battery became too low.  It really does not
vary the parameter by day, as I think you are requesting, but when
coupled with the different charging regimens it gets you pretty close.
For example you can use the timer function to force a gen run in the
morning as follows: you set the gen start SOC level for the evening
period to a lower value and the gen start SOC for the day time to a
higher value.  This will cause the generator to start first thing in
morning (when the timer switches) but only if the battery has fallen to
the daytime SOC level.  By setting the daytime gen stop SOC to 75 to 80%
(depending of battery size and maximum charging current) you would limit
generator run time to bulk charging only while still giving the PV a
chance to complete the absorption charge cycle later in the day.

Lastly you can also program a separate generator start/stop based on
load levels.  Both the start and stop levels as well as delay time are
programmable. This does not give you exact time control but does run the
generator when the household loads are present above some level and stop
when the loads fall below a certain level thereby making better use of
generator power when it is running.  You can determine the appropriate
start and stop power levels or SOC levels by looking at the data stored
on the sunny island data card.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

>>> jay at asis.com 2/14/2008 05:46:06 PM >>>

HI John,

I guess I said to poorly, but was trying to convey the efficiency of
battery charging of the generator/inverter/charger combo.

For example the sunny Island will do a different charge every 14
days, but for some customers that could be 14 cycles or others none
at all.

So what I'm suggesting is a fully adjustable for days between
different types of charging ( 80% full, 90% full and 100% full?)

Could we also get a program that scheduled the genny to start at some
program time, but wasn't fixed. So if its within some parameter,
start at say 6pm ( when the evening loads are starting) but if some
lower voltage occurs before that then start then.
Right now there is no way to do this that I know of, but this can
improve the efficiency as many generators are sized to provide full
charge power + extra for the house loads and then saving charge
cycles on the batteries.

Does that answer your questions

jay

As this thread has brought up what I have been wanting for some time
is this idea of a smarter