Rinnai boiler controller [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Sun Feb 10 06:35:49 PST 2008

Hi Brad,

You are very wise to want to provide combustion air from an unconditioned
space for any fuel burning appliance.

The majority of power vented water tankless water heaters do that, either
stock or through an accessory package that basically covers up the holes in
the case and then provides a collar to plumb in combustion air. The clever
folks will custom build a "box" for the natural draft machines and provide
the box with adequate combustion air from usually outside. Best of both
worlds, IMHO.

All tankless machines manufactured by the Big Five (that I am aware of) sold
to North America are modulating units. The majority are flow modulated
heaters. The "old" Bosch _Solar_ AquaStar, AQ 125BS and all its predecessors
(e.l.m. AquaStar heaters ending with the VP suffix) were temperature
modulated heaters. Through the wonders of marketing that old "preheat
capable" heater is now offered as the Bosch Aquastar 1600PS (the same
machine as AQ 125BS) I believe the marketing guys get promotions on the
amount of money they spend for literature and advertising and a new model
name or number requires more money, so more promotions.

In theory any machine that measured and responded to _inlet_ water
temperature would work as a solar backup. Unfortunately, the rub comes when
you only need a _little_ more heat. The Rinnai model you quoted has a
_minimum_ fire of 15,000 BTU/hour.

Hope that helps.

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar