Standoffs [RE-wrenches]

Kirpal Khalsa solarworks at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 21:06:01 PST 2008

Max, Alan; At one point i had a customer who had to attach to a roof
and could only attach to plywood.  after lots of research they had an
engineer give the DPW easy feet the go ahead.  I cant remember the
details but DPW may be able to help you with the engineering.....
The link to their equipment is:
http--power-fab.com-techinfo-powerrails-pr_mount_options.pdf
Cheerio.
Kirpal
Renewable Energy Systems
541-218-0201

On 2/6/08, Allan Sindelar <allan at positiveenergysolar.com> wrote:

> Max,
> No, we never have, so you can discount this comment if you want to. But I
> was a carpenter for 20 years in a past life...
>
> I wouldn't attach to 1/2" plywood. We have always adhered to a general
> prohibition against attaching to sheathing, rather than to structural
> members.
>
> OK, so having made my disclaimers, I'd consider these two options:
> Way back when, SIPS used 2X framing members as splines to slip in the edges
> of adjacent panels. If they still do, you may have 2X10 "rafters" or
> "purlins" every 4' to which you can attach your standoffs or feet.
>
> If you did a low-profile flush array, with edging trim around all sides to
> keep wind from getting beneath the array, and worked with the rack
> manufacturer's engineers on attachment methods and number of attachment
> points, and used a fastener such as a heavy toggle bolt that isn't limited
> by thread tearout, you might come out just fine. But be careful.
>
> Allan at Positive E

Sunny Regards,
Kirpal Khalsa