Standoffs [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Feb 6 16:43:08 PST 2008

Max,
No, we never have, so you can discount this comment if you want to. But I
was a carpenter for 20 years in a past life...

I wouldn't attach to 1/2" plywood. We have always adhered to a general
prohibition against attaching to sheathing, rather than to structural
members.

OK, so having made my disclaimers, I'd consider these two options:
Way back when, SIPS used 2X framing members as splines to slip in the edges
of adjacent panels. If they still do, you may have 2X10 "rafters" or
"purlins" every 4' to which you can attach your standoffs or feet.

If you did a low-profile flush array, with edging trim around all sides to
keep wind from getting beneath the array, and worked with the rack
manufacturer's engineers on attachment methods and number of attachment
points, and used a fastener such as a heavy toggle bolt that isn't limited
by thread tearout, you might come out just fine. But be careful.

Allan at Positive E