battery-less VAWT -Pacwind[RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu Jan 31 15:44:33 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Probably not connected to a load, Nick. I'm looking at two output charts
for PacWind; one for the SeaHawk, and one for the Mark I. The SeaHawk
isn't really even worth mentioning (abysmal output), but the Mk I is
interesting for another reason.

Remembering that the Mk I is rated (by PacWind) to produce 3,700 Watts @
38 MPH, the published max power never reached 600 Watts - even in an
averaged wind of > 14 MPH. Total kWh produced in this same high wind
month is shown to be 100.8 kWh (so it really blew), but in less drastic
wind averages of 12.3 MPH (5.5 M/S), it produced only 50.4 kWh. In this
same wind regime, using a turbine I'm familiar with - the Kestrel e150
600 Watt HAWT - we see a net output of 85 kWhrs, or approx 69% more
output than the PacWind.

 From published information on the PacWind web site, you will see that
the peak voltage is 190 VDC, and the max amps is 20. It doesn't say
where peak voltage is achieved, but 20 amps X 190 Volts = 3800 Watts,
right? And we are doing this with a 48" blade swinging a 6'6" circle, of
which less than 50 % is able to do meaningful work at any given moment.
No matter how you slice it, this is a 4' rotor, even though it swings in
a 6' circle. Clearly, this is barely a 500 Watt machine. The listed
price on these is $4,000.00 They hardly ever hit 600 Watts. $6.66/Watt -
not including inverter and installation. For a device that will deliver
50 kWh a month in a good wind zone. 50 X .12 = $6.00/ month from a
system that will cost a minimum of $7,500. That means a payback in only
104 years.

Not exactly a good investment in my book.

If they increased the blade height to 10', they might do a bit better?

Matt

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com