Down-sizing battery systems [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Mon Jan 28 20:37:07 PST 2008

There has been some really great feedback from my start of this thread and thanks to all.

I did want to clear up one item. Yes, we always separate out the "critical" loads on a separate panel and all other loads go to a generator panel if off-grid, or the main panel if no generator, and sometimes systems will have all three type panels and load separation.

For example, in the humid south-east air conditioning is a must, and this is never a load supplied from our solar systems. However, we have had to re-wire some off-grid homes when they did not like to start the generator each day just to use the dishwasher, while having a full battery charge already.  On poor solar days there is no dish-washing going on (unless it is with a dish towel!)

And yes, many new off-grid and battery backup systems are starting to add loads to the generator and/or solar system that was un-heard of 10 years ago. This was the point of my thread, we are seeing the "typical" solar home today as having tons of electronics to power, smaller battery banks, and bigger arrays and generators.

Thanks again,

Jeff Yago

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com