no safe modules for ground-mounted arrays[RE-wrenches]

Blair May tump at hughes.net
Sat Jan 19 07:35:01 PST 2008

Yeah @ manus would love that! No longer would they have 2 worried about warrentes.

I would think that the lower edge of the modules on a pole mount would be no lower then 7' & that would put the wiring @ 81/2'.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----

From: Ray Walters <walters at taosnet.com>

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:20:23

To:RE-wrenches at topica.com

Subject: Re: no safe modules for ground-mounted arrays[RE-wrenches]

Taller pole mounts that put the cabling above 2 m (6 1/2')  would be

cheaper than fencing.

What if a manufacturer just approved a glue on J-box attachment to

the module? That's all the J-box was on the  old J-box models.

We glue some J-boxes on, cut the cables shorter and wire nut away to

flex conduit. A single gang outdoor extension ring made of plastic

would work great.

I have some very old modules that have j-boxes that are just that.

Its actually sturdier than the old boxes were all crying about.

The proper adhesive would be the key ingredient. I believe silicon is

compatible with the Tedlar backing on the modules,

could a module manufacturer please comment?

The retrofit I'm talking about would work on most modules now.

ray at solarray.com

On Jan 18, 2008, at 1:24 PM, Jeff Yago wrote:

> let me re-state the question, has anyone heard of:

> Chain Link Fencing

> I don't do alot of ground mount and I don't want or need all that j-

> box and conduit stuff for my roof top installations. trying to fix

> this problem through the Code, at the device level, just makes

> things much worse.

> MPF

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

> Yes, we could spend several thousand dollars more on each ground

> mount installation by digging and pouring multiple metal fence post

> footings, putting up the chain link fence, installing padlocks, and

> buying warning signage, since we all know fences will always keep

> curious kids out and makes yard mowing that much easier.

> However, all we are asking for is somebody, anybody, to offer a

> large module with the option of a J-box instead of pig-tails. This

> is the low tech solution (and cheap!) to solve this problem.

> Afterall, we are not asking for a new product as  almost everyone

> made modules this way for years.

> I realize we each have different market areas and what is an issue

> for one installer may not be an issue for others, but if you want

> me to stand by you when you have your next roof mount issue, you

> need to stand by us when we have an issue that impacts our work.

> I repeat, we need some type of common voice that can speak for all

> installers when we have these issues with equipment manufacturers

> and code officials.

> Jeff Yago

> Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

> - - - -