no safe modules for ground-mounted arrays[RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Fri Jan 18 16:27:30 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

At 03:46 PM 1/18/2008 -0800, you wrote:

>...I would think that the "circuits" would have to more like over 8 1/2' to be
>deemed not "readily accessible"....
>
>MPF

Plus you have to take into account steep winter season tilts, which put
half of the array at heights considerably less than pole height.  For a
large array, practically, you're probably talking about 10' to center pivot
to keep all wiring not "readily accessible".

We've done a number of tall (>10ft) pole mounts for customers with cabins
at 9-10000 ft elevations, where keeping above deep snow was an issue. The
amount of time, and the safety issues, seem to increase exponentially as
pole heights go higher than than 8 ft.  If it's high enough to not readily
accessible to the end user, it's not going to be readily accessible to the
installer either...

I'm also not trying to take sides on this issue, I am a great fan of
J-boxes but concede that they're not the be-all and end-all of module
construction, they have their own problems as well.  On the other hand, I
think that grates and fences are a damned kludge, even without the added
expense and ugliness that will often be unavoidable.  Not to say I won't
incorporate them if circumstances dictate.  But I'll vigorously defend
J-boxes as the best solution that we have available at present for ground
level arrays, at least until someone comes up with a raceway solution that
is all-around better.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, UT