NEC Changes In 2008 (was evolution) [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Mon Jan 14 09:27:51 PST 2008

Regardless of the merits of individual changes to the Code in this cycle
(locking connectors) I still see a pattern of degradation in the overall
effect of all changes in 690.

I followed this cycle pretty closely, reading all the proposed changes, and
now seeing what actually was adopted.  I saw alot of very reasonable changes
proposed but for the most part none where adopted out right.  The adopted
changes seem to co-opt and then modify the best ideas such that the actual
intent is ruined and the change detrimental.

Whether this was by collusion or incompetence I can't say.

I generally have been one who supports a strong Code that limits the
discretion of the AJH, who may abuse it.  As a result of this Code cycle, I
expect that my focus will change.  In order to circumvent some of the worst
aspects of the new Code, I will likely tend to encourage the AJH to use it's
discretion to allow me exceptions.

Considering this possibility clarifies for me that the new changes which add
multiple layers of unclear and conflicting requirements is not good for our
industry as a whole, no matter what part one plays in the game.

MPF

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com