Interesting backyard water pumping project [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 15:39:00 PST 2008

Hi wrenches
I guess we could do this like a normal sizing problem?
To pump 100 GPM up 8 feet, water weights 8.34 #/G and
60 minutes in an hour, multipling equals 100 x 8 x
8.34 x 60 = 400,320 foot pounds/hr hydrolic.  I have
only tested a few pumps but 50% eff. is good, so
assume 40% and then 1,000,000 ft-#/ hr are required,
1kWh is 2,700,000 ft-lbs, devide, and 1/2.7 =0.370
kWh/h Or 370 watts to supply the water.

So if you want 370 watts for 10 am to 10 pm you want
4.44 kWh/day.  Now consider where you live, if you
live where I live the summer is maybe 4 hrs/day and
winter is 2 so maybe 3 hrs is ok as you shut off 6
months during the winter.  4.44/3= 1480 and use 80%
effic solar 1480/.8= 1850 Watt installed solar array,
and use the 3 day rule on bateries to 50% SOC and
multipling = 4.44 kWh/d x 3 d x 1/50% = 26,640 Watt
hrs  at 24 volts this is about 1,100 amp hours, or 3
parallel strings of L-16s

--- Kurt Albershardt <info at es-ee.com> wrote:

> We upgraded a system feeding a waterfall with a
> Solar Force piston pump and 5x Siemens SP75 panels.
> Pretty much everything else the original installer
> sold them was replaced or upgraded: inverter powered
> AC fountain pump replaced with a 12V Oasis,
> installed a DC timer and QO load center for all the
> DC.  C40 and the L16s died about a year later, so we
> put in an MPPT charge controller and large stack of
> AGM cells.  Inverter is still there on a manual
> switch in case they need to run a power tool
> out there.  Still running after ~6 years now.
>

> --On Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:00 PM -0800 Joel
> Davidson <joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> > Wrenches,
> > A neighbor is putting in a shallow decorative pond
> with a wooden water wheel. He wants to pump water
> (100 gpm but I think that is way too much) from the
> pond up 7 feet to turn the water wheel. Yes, I know
> that this is not the best use for power, but the
> world would be a sadder place without fountains,
> ponds, and water decorations. Instead of utility
> power I suggested using a solar powered DC direct
> drive pump, but he wants the water wheel to turn
> until 10pm. Any suggestions would be most
> welcome. Thanks in advance.
> > Joel Davidson
>

> .
>

> - - - -