Outback X-240 Autotransformer [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Jan 8 12:31:01 PST 2008

Drake -

The short answer is I would say use the relay with the X-240 in AC coupled systems.  The primary losses will be due to the magnetization current required by the X-240 which varies with 10 to 12 watts from my measurements.  Over a course of 24 hours it adds up - about a 1/4 kilowatthour per  day.

The only caution here is how this relay is powered - if its continuously energized then the wattage required should be compared to the draw of the transformer.

Another issue is that there also will be a small voltage rise when selling through a X-240 transformer and if the grid voltage is at the high end of the window this could cause problems.

As far as using the OutBack inverters with AC coupled systems - you can do it with either the GVFX or VFX versions. The "off-grid" VFX inverters have the benefit of handling a wide range of back-up generators - so we usually advise using these models for AC coupled systems.  Both models are able to do "battery charging" from the AC coupled system.

Christopher

Christopher Freitas

OutBack Power Systems
cfreitas at outbackpower.com

EMAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The preceding message (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communication
Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. sections 2510-2521, is confidential, and may also be protected by
attorney-client or other privilege. If you believe that it has been sent to you in error,
please do not read it. If you are not the intended recipient,you are hereby notified
that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in
error, then delete it. Thank you.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com