Outback X-240 Autotransformer [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 15:44:29 PST 2008

HI Drake
I am not the guy to ask, but I put my amp meter on my
x240 and unloaded it seems to draw 0.36 amps at 120
volts.  The DC resistance is so low my meter will not
measure, (I will ask around to see if I can borrow a
milli-ohm meter).  The resistance was less than one
ohm (perhaps 0.5 ohm) .  So If I have 20 amps 120
going into the transformer,and 20 amps 240 comming out
I am losing 0.36 amps on magntization and 0.5 ohm x 20
amps on DC resistance, I am losing 10 watts resistance
on each winding and 0.36 watts on inductance?  and 20
watts for a load of 4800 ? this about 99.5% So I guess
I am wrong somewhere because the transformer gets hot
under high load.

 So first of all it depends upon load.  If I had 0.36
amps and 1  ohm I would have 0.36 watts at rest under
no load?
Darryl

--- Drake Chamberlin
<Drake.Chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org> wrote:

> At 05:34 PM 1/6/2008, you wrote:
> >I certainly hope not.  Autotransformers are more
> efficient than two
> >winding transformers (due to their lower
> relucatance) and good
> >2-winding transformers are typically over 95%
> efficient.  98-99% is
> >not out of the question.
>
> I finally got a word from Outback from tech support.
>  A message was
> relayed from Steve Higgens, who says the X-240 is
> 80-90%
> efficient.  I think we need to bypass them for the
> grid connection on
> AC coupled systems.
>

> - - - -
> Hosted by Home Power magazine