Sunny Island vs Outback [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 17:31:49 PST 2008

Hi Peter
My experiance with Outback Island is very limited, 1
system, but I will be working on a bigger install
soon.

The AC-in is grid, and grid loads.  The AC-out is for
AC coupling to the other inverter and critical loads.

When the grid is up the OB internal relay is closed
and the second inverter sees the grid. Then the other
inverter and the OB sell to the grid at a maximum of
60 amps (7.2 kw) and the OB and other inverter share
the 60 amp OB transfer relay.  If the second inverter
is a 240 volt and you have only one OB (120 volt) then
use an auto transformer.

When the grid goes down the OB provides a 1741 quality
AC signal to the other inverter to sync up to.  If the
second inverter is providing power in excess of the
critical loads, the OB absorbs the power and charges
the battery. If the battery reaches Float or maybe
higher, the DC power is dumped up to the maximum of
the OB charger plus the solar on the OB-DC side.  In
my one inverter system I used a Tristar 60 as a
diversion controller to dump the OB charger power and
the MX60 to control the OB solar source.
Hope this helps, and hope people with more experiance
will chime in.
Darryl

--- Peter Parrish <peter.parrish at calsolareng.com>

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs