[RE-wrenches] Building integrated thermal collectors?

Karl Schwingel karl at northwindrenewable.com
Sun Dec 28 09:44:35 PST 2008

I will beg to differ on the space heating properties.  domestic hot
water can use any degree above about 50 degF here in wisconsin.  every
btu reduces the load on the backup water heater.  pool heating is just
fine with anything above  80 degrees or so (pool temps 80-85 deg) and
space heating is the tricky one because it needs temps minimum of 60 deg
above ambient.   say 80 deg on a 20 deg winter day for infloor heating,
much higher for fan coils and other convective devices.

There's someone here in the upper midwest peddling something similar to
the amercian solar air to water heater, and that's fine, but what
happens when something fails and the HX freezes.  I've heard too many
stories about the HX's freezing overnight and thawing when the sun comes
out, presto, impromptu indoor pool.  not on my watch cap'n.

what worries me is that dawn solar is peddling their collector to a
potential customer as a space heating option.   he wants us to install
it, and I'm willing to do it, but ONLY with a huge signed neon rotating,
I TOLD YOU SO!!!.

karl out.

mick abraham wrote:
> Thanks, Kurt & Ian~
>
> The Dawn Solar arrangement makes me think of a similar looking setup from
> American Solar: http://americansolar.com/product-solar-roof.htm
>
> The American Solar setup heats air which they claim can then heat water. Hmm.
>
> My inner geek suspects that both of these systems would yield only low
> temperature rise...which would be OK for pool heating or even for space
> heating...but for DHW? Hmm. Both of these systems remind me of unglazed
> swimming pool collectors.
>
> Glass is old school, low tech, breakable, and there's that nagging low R-value
> problem. Even so, glass really has some marvelous properties. The "greenhouse
> effect" makes glass behave similar to a selective surface.
>
> Ian's note about the Velux integrated collectors is also appreciated. There
> are some excellent how to videos on the Velux website which may be of interest
> to other List members.
>
> Anyone in the SW Rockies who might be interested in pooling an order for Velux
> gear in order to save freight costs may contact me off list.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Mick Abraham, Proprietor
> www.abrahamsolar.com
> Voice: 970-731-4675

Karl Schwingel
NABCEP Certified Solar Thermal Installer
NorthWind Renewable Energy LLC

PO Box 723 Stevens Point, WI 54481
Karl at Northwindre.com
Cell: 715 209 0446
Fax : 715 952 4501

This e-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named
recipient(s) above, and may contain information that is privileged or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this
message in error, or are not a named recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail message from
your computer. Thank you.