[RE-wrenches] Building integrated thermal collectors?

mick abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Sat Dec 27 13:39:22 PST 2008

Thanks, Kurt & Ian~

The Dawn Solar arrangement makes me think of a similar looking setup from
American Solar: http://americansolar.com/product-solar-roof.htm

The American Solar setup heats air which they claim can then heat water. Hmm.

My inner geek suspects that both of these systems would yield only low
temperature rise...which would be OK for pool heating or even for space
heating...but for DHW? Hmm. Both of these systems remind me of unglazed
swimming pool collectors.

Glass is old school, low tech, breakable, and there's that nagging low R-value
problem. Even so, glass really has some marvelous properties. The "greenhouse
effect" makes glass behave similar to a selective surface.

Ian's note about the Velux integrated collectors is also appreciated. There
are some excellent how to videos on the Velux website which may be of interest
to other List members.

Anyone in the SW Rockies who might be interested in pooling an order for Velux
gear in order to save freight costs may contact me off list.

Thanks again,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com
Voice: 970-731-4675