[RE-wrenches] Shoes, matting for roof work

Kelly Keilwitz, Whidbey Sun & Wind kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Fri Nov 28 15:39:53 PST 2008

Wrenches,
We¹re doing a lot of work on new-construction metal roofs. The problem isn¹t
so much staying on the roof (unless wet!) but tracking sand up onto the roof
from the foundation area ­ which scratches up the roof and, then, becomes a
safety issue. We¹ve tried laying old carpet at the ladder or scaffolding
base, but that only seems to work for awhile. We have tried changing shoes
from the ground to the roof, but that gets old, fast.

We¹re considering trying Korker safety sandals (
www.westernsafety.com/korkers.html) with the metal roof pads, which
(hopefully) can be quickly put on over regular footwear. Has anyone tried
these and have feedback?

The Cougar Paws seem like good footwear, but I don¹t see how they would
solve the issue of tracking grit onto the roof.

I like the idea of using matting, as long as it¹s sticky enough to stay on
the roof when wet. Other ideas along these lines would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Kelly

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind, LLC