[RE-wrenches] More on AC coupling

Steve at windandsun.co.uk Steve at windandsun.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 10:20:36 PST 2008

Hi Tump,

Yes, the SI & SB system is all it's cracked up to be!

I'm not sure what is possible in the US but we've been running a 60kW
Sunny Island system for over a year now which powers the Scottish
Isle of Eigg and uses PV's with Sunny Boys, wind turbines with Windy
Boys, 100kW hydro turbine & back-up diesel generation. Power is
distributed around the island at 3.3kV three-phase using step-up &
step-down transformers. The generation is located at various parts of
the island (as are the houses & loads) with the Sunny Islands/Battery
Store & back-up diesels roughly in the middle.

See our website for a full description:
http://www.windandsun.co.uk/projects_eigg.htm

The Sunny Island inverters use 'Frequency Shift Power Control'  -
variations in island grid frequency to communicate control signals to
the generation sources and to bonus loads. If the batteries cannot
absorb the renewable power being generated onto the network (if they
are full, or the power generated exceeds the inverter/charger
capacity), the Sunny Island inverters raise the system frequency.
Sunny Boy & Windy Boy inverters are set to 'Off-Grid' mode to respond
to this frequency rise and back off power being fed into the system.
Other renewable generation (eg. hydro turbines) that is able to
respond to this frequency rise to restrict their power output can
also be incorporated in the system.

The raised frequency can also be used to trigger switching on of
bonus loads when there is surplus renewable energy output.

The great thing about using this frequency shift for control is that
no communication cabling, special circuits or dedicated switching is
required and distance is no problem.

The other great thing about using the Sunny Island system is that it
allows use of the Sunny Webbox for remote monitoring. This means
every morning I can check on the internet to see how the system is
performing, view state of charge of batteries, and dial in to change
things if needed. Furthermore, several people can do this at once -
eg. system owners & SMA technical support - so we can all look at
what's been happening and discuss any events. (I'm sure you all know
how useful this can be!)

As an example the attached Word document shows how the frequency
shift works in practice (Hope it's Ok to send attachments on this
list)

Regards
Steve Wade