[RE-wrenches] Need help to get power torque wrench

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc ntrei at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 16 19:57:31 PST 2008

Peter,
I just re-read your reply and it still escapes me. ocd...
And I posted a question the other day on the Wrenches site about the "installed cost" relative to the ITC.
  a.. I just finished talking with a home builder concerning their clients that want PV on their new home. The cost of the PV install will be rolled into in the mortgage. I quoted to him the amount of the tax credit that equaled 30% of my installed cost but the builder corrected me. He said the actual installed cost for federal tax purposes, according to their tax expert, included the builders markup. Now this builder specializes in super energy efficient homes and has for 3 decades. He has asked me in the past for bids for PV installs for his clients homes so I know that he knows something about the process. Is this a legitimate pricing strategy or is he mistaken? The language at dsireusa.org is not that specific.

The only reply I received was from Scott Sklar and he was not really addressing the question. I even followed up off list with him but he was not any help.
What is your approach to new home installs as far as what you advise the client about ITC deductions since there seems a clear distinction between new amortized construction and a retrofit PV install costs.
I realize that ultimately the homeowner is the one to decide on the amount to add to their form 5695.
It's important to me since the current ITC, without any rebate type incentives in most of Texas, is producing very little business. However, the Jan 1 increase comes on top of a rebate program starting on 12-1-08 for $2.46/W. This will definitely drive new business. The rebate is only within the Oncor Electric Delivery service area, approximately 3m households. I need to know how the PV community is promoting the ITC.
Any help you can offer won't be taken as tax advice.
thx
Jim Duncan
North Texas Renewable Energy Inc
817.917.0527