[RE-wrenches] tankless hot water and pumping question

Ian Woofenden ian.woofenden at homepower.com
Fri Nov 14 09:05:08 PST 2008

Hi Todd and all,

Since this is a renewable energy list, I think it's worth mentioning
that installing a modulating demand heater will make the installation
"solar ready".

I'm only aware of one tankless heater that accepts pre-heated water
and has no electrical usage, and that's the Bosch 1600PS (which I
live with). I'd love to know if there are others, since this is a
common need in off-grid systems. Some of the other modulating heaters
on the market have significant electrical demand, which is a deal
breaker for us poor off-gridders.

Ideally, we'd have such a unit that doesn't have a standing pilot,
but I've never heard of such a product, though there are
non-modulating heaters that run on piezo igniton and a couple of
D-cells. Bosch's hydro unit is a neat concept, but it's not
modulating.

I hope others will share their knowledge and experience.

Ian

--
Ian Woofenden <ian.woofenden at homepower.com>, Senior Editor, Home Power magazine