[RE-wrenches] crystalline VS uni-solar and beyond

Michael Welch michael.welch at re-wrenches.org
Tue Nov 4 09:32:18 PST 2008

Hi gang. I have a little more info on the comparison system that was being discussed last week, just for the record.

I heard from the system installer (Roger) yesterday who filled me in. I really do not know any more than the following:
1. Systems: eight 130 W Siemens and sixteen 64 W Uni-Solar modules, both on identical SunnyBoy inverters.SSW orientation, tilt = approx. latitude.

2. Site: Arcata, CA. 4.4 avg. daily peak sun hours. Rainy area, regular morning and late afternoon fog on clear days. Moderate temperatures.

3. The amorphous modules performed 4% less than the crystalline -- until Uni-Solar replaced the modules a couple of years back, and now they outperform the crystalline modules by about 4%.

4. The installer and his distributor suspected that Uni-Solar high-graded the replacement modules they sent when they found out there was a public side-by-side comparison.

See the arrays here: http://www.geolinkwine.com/businessimages/ArcCo-OP1.JPG