[RE-wrenches] crystalline VS uni-solar and beyond

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 1 10:00:12 PDT 2008

Hi Jay,

My experience was the exact opposite with Unisolar triple-junction structural standing seam systems in 1996 and megawatts of Unisolar from 2003 to 2007. My Unisolar tests and installations exceeded PVWATTS kWh estimates by approx 5% (PVWATTS uses crystalline PV temperature coefficient). PVWATTS is a reliable estimator for crystalline PV systems when 0.65 dc-to-ac derate factor for battery based systems and 0.75 to 0.82 for batteryless systems was used. See http://www.uni-solar.com/uploadedFiles/0.4.2_white_paper_3.pdf

a-Si degradation is no mystery. See http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy00osti/28333.pdf NREL on-going tests since 1997 validates Unisolar's 20-year 80% warranty claim. It is interesting that the time of year Unisolar is deployed affects its light induced degradation. See "Recovery of Light Induced Degradation in Amorphous Silicon Solar Cells and Modules."

I think that Unisolar modules are suitable:
when high power density is not required
if flexibility and/or conformability are wanted
if partial shading is an issue
if high cell temperature is an issue
if building integration is wanted
if no glass is wanted
if its unique appearance is wanted.

The "aluminum-frame-glass-module" monopoly has been broken. Unisolar's persistence, First Solar's CdTe success, and the re-appearance of CIGS (remember Arco/Siemens 1998 ST modules?) along with "see through" and other flexible PV modules is changing PV. The lowest price per watt (initial cost) is gradually giving way to lowest price per kilowatt-hour (lifecycle cost). It's still a neck-n-neck which PV technology will win, but there is no doubt that PV is winning almost everyone's heart and mind.

Best regards,
Joel Davidson
"Not all change is for the better, but nothing gets better without change." So vote for change!