[RE-wrenches] Sharp racking on cement roof tiles

Max Balchowsky max at seesolar.com
Wed Oct 29 21:13:06 PDT 2008

Daryl, the best way to deal with it is to take the tiles off under the array. This will give the system a lower profile and a "built in" look. The other choice is to drill through the tile to get into the rafters. I've put a system in the Cayman Islands and you want to make sure you do it according to spec and then some when you have the potential for hurricane class winds.....

  Max Balchowsky
  Design Engineer
  Empire Solar Solutions
  562-244-7068

penobscotsolar at midmaine.com wrote:
  Hi all,
We are currently sizing an 8-10 kw system in Nassau in the Bahamas and
are faced with installing a racking system on 1 inch thick cement roof
tiles. We have not done the Sharp training as they seem to be
perpetually full before we get to them and their responses are only
form letter responses.
Has anyone installed their racking on this type of roof? The tiles
measure approximately 8 inches wide and, as I said, are 1 inch thick.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Daryl DeJoy
NABCEP Certified PV installer
Certified Advanced PV Design