[RE-wrenches] Best Off-Grid Equalize Charging Method

Walt Ratterman wratterman at SunEnergyPower.com
Thu Oct 23 19:05:16 PDT 2008

Jeff,

I cant offer any documented testing, but I have done a lot of off-grid
systems where the battery banks are large compared to the PV array.
(intentionally - in the hybrid systems with the generator.)

You are absolutely correct that the biggest problem is getting the batteries
charged on a regular basis.

Regarding your question of generator in the morning or evening, we have the
operator inspect the system twice daily - once at sundown and once at sunup.
The state of charge of the battery (I know - we don't really know for sure)
gives the operator a decision of whether or not to run the generator.

Our normal operation is that we let the sun do everything it can do during
the day, and then if the batteries need more, the generator can do this in
the evening.  This results in us getting the biggest bang for the PV buck,
and the biggest potential in fuel savings.  If you run the generator in the
morning, it is normally going to run the full cycle, and then the PV wont
even come on.  (and is hence not even needed......)

Another issue that factors into this is days of autonomy.  We are getting
away from the traditional "3 days of autonomy" recommended in many places.
This is because, as you noted, after you use up your three days of storage,
it is nearly impossible to get the batteries charged back up without running
the generator for increasingly longer times, which the operators are often
not going to do, due to fuel costs.  (And in installations with no generator
(the smaller systems) installations with many days of autonomy simply almost
never get charged back to full after the first few days of clouds, unless
the PV array is oversized AND the users cut way back on their loads.....

Sorry about no documentation....

Take care,

Walt Ratterman
SunEnergy Power International