[RE-wrenches] Magnum: meter won't reset; Internal Bridge error

mick abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Sun Sep 21 14:43:07 PDT 2008

Greetings, all~

If there is no Magnum employee monitoring the Wrench List, could boB Gudgel
forward this as appropriate?

My client has a "genset plus" system--no recharge other than his MagnaSine
4448AE driven by a generator. Batteries are a single string of Deka 8L-16's, a
few months old. We're running the charger defaults: 48 amp maximum charge
rate, 2 hour absorption, and flooded setpoints.

(1) Magnum's integrated battery monitor hasn't done a 100% reset for some
time. It counts up to 99%, no more, according to the report from my customer.
I asked the customer to run the generator for longer than his normal pattern,
in order to force the meter to reset (and also to increase battery SOC). The
"AH I/O" counter ran up to about 78 amp hours above zero and the
inverter/charger went into float for over an hour...but still we got no reset
on the counters.

Is this an equipment glitch? OR: should we fool the system into repeating the
bulk charge to try again for the reset?

(2) The client reports an "Internal Bridge" fault. This has happened multiple
times because the customer has become adept at resetting the unit per page 36
of the manual. The manual says nothing about "internal bridge", but repeated
shutdowns seem non-normal to me. I do notice something in the manual about the
"FET Bridge" so maybe that's where the trouble is.

The customer has been pounding their batteries by driving the inverter until
it shuts down due to low battery voltage. Could that trigger the "Internal
Bridge" fault? It certainly triggers my cringe reflex...

If we can get the percentage meter back on track, that might help reduce the
customer's "drive until it dies" behavior. Here's hoping...

Thankx,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com
Voice: 970-731-4675