[RE-wrenches] evergreen panels diode problems

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Sat Sep 20 17:36:34 PDT 2008

I am sorry to hear that folks are having these kinds of problems.

As I understand it, only module types made up of back contact cells such as
the SunPower are run with positive ground.

These modules actually require positive ground to reduce static charge build
up on the front of the cell which can reverse bias and shut down the module.

I don't know, but it seems to me that folks have somehow mixed up the high
yield of the back contact cell with positive grounding so now positive
grounding will increase the yeild other types of cells.

Do I have the story about right?  Running front contact cells that have
plenty of collection wire on the face on a positive ground will not
significantly increase yield over a negative ground.

Are there other benefits to running positive ground that I am not aware of?

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way
Nevada City,  CA 95959