[RE-wrenches] offgrid system question

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 21 18:35:41 PDT 2008

Hi Ray,

In Arkansas we used whole-house fans or just a box fan in the open attic access hole to exhaust hot air out of the attic vents, closed the curtains on the south-facing windows and opened the lower sash on the north-facing windows to let cool air in.

Migration to a better climate also works, but bring lots of wampum if you trek to the southern California coastal region.

I'm reminded of an old Arco Solar slide of some people in Upper Volta (now Burkina Faso) standing next to a solar array and a dc pump with water gushing out of a dug well. Behind them is desert that looks like a Martian landscape. Those folks did not need solar water pumping. They needed suitcases and good walking shoes to migrate from desertification.

There will be a lot of migration as climate changes affect coastal regions and rainfall patterns change and politics. For example, some of the Pacific Island villages threatened by rising water, the Mesa Verde Cliffs Anastasi Indians and drought, the Pilgrims to the Americas, etc. A lot can happen in a couple million years. Adaptation, migration, extinction.

In the meantime, there's lots of fun to be had getting Americans to cut their energy consumption five-fold and/or helping people with no electricity improve their living standards without polluting like Westerners.

There's hope for us yet. Keep up the good work.

Joel Davidson