[RE-wrenches] offgrid system question

R. Walters walters at taosnet.com
Thu Aug 21 10:38:48 PDT 2008

Hi Joel;

I made a list of strategies we use a couple of emails back in this
string. I'll reiterate:
Here in Northern New Mexico we use adobes (lots of thermal mass) and
open up to the cool night air.
When I lived through Texas summers, you either ponied up for AC, went
to your mountain home, or suffered.
Dana stated the first 2 steps:
super insulate & increase thermal mass.
Next ?? :
Reduce your cubic footage of air conditioned space. (Just cool a
couple of inner rooms.)
Share walls  & cooling systems (like apartments, duplexs, etc)
Reduce east & west glazing
Grow overhanging deciduous trees on the East & West
Use Fans
Use some evaporative cooling if possible
Use small High efficiency AC units (Sanjo?)
Raise thermostat setting
Use geothermal heat pumps

Migrate?

Ray