[RE-wrenches] offgrid system question

R. Walters walters at taosnet.com
Wed Aug 20 21:31:24 PDT 2008

Hi Jeff;

I'm learning to start charging for that precious ZEN time. I try not
to tell them they can't do it.
Instead, I charge for extra design time beyond a regular system, and
I let the ridiculously expensive prices do the talking.
If they still want to do it, I start looking at a solar / generator
hybrid, where the generator picks up the slack on hot summer days.
I start pushing efficiency, cut the costs in half, and make it work.
Is it fair for the client to brag about their environmental impact:
No. The grid would be cleaner.
For me, I look at what they would do if they didn't go solar. If I'm
keeping a generator from running 24 hrs/ day, I figure I'm still
doing the world some good.
(This may just be a bogus rationalization for some whopper jobs that
kept me in business)

Ray Walters

> Sorry, but sometimes you do have to tell a client they are wrong,
> and I do not always have the Zen time to help them discover that
> realization on their own through a slow learning process.
> Jeff Yago
>

> Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.
>
> List rules & etiquette:

R. Walters