[RE-wrenches] offgrid system question

Max Balchowsky max at seesolar.com
Mon Aug 18 13:00:59 PDT 2008

    Dear wrenches, going to look at a system installed by others and would like some input from some of you with more off grid experience than I have ( 4 systems over the years). the system was put on a new home - off grid 20 sharp ND123UJF panels 4 modules in series - 5 parrallel strings, 2460 total array dc voltage. mppt 60-150 charge controller, 12 sun extender sealed AGM batteries, 305 AH at 12 vdc, wired for 915 AH at 48 volt DC. The system is tripping off when the AC unit trys to start - AC is comfortmaker 3.5 ton 13 seer. They say start up inrush is 104 amps (sounds high to me) and they put a DST 10 soft start on the unit (I think that's just a big capacitor). I haven't been on site yet but it sounds to me that they just didn't design enough inverter capacity into the system...... What are your thoughts?

  Max Balchowsky
  SEE Systems