Leaking L-feet and what kind of caulk [RE-wrenches]

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Wed Jul 2 07:34:24 PDT 2008

Hi All -

I don't want to beat this issue to death but it is certainly a very important part of the installation. Perhaps we haven't heard any nightmare tales about leaking L-feet because no one wants to admit it...

I definitely see Troy's point about the excessive cost of materials; after all we're all trying to make solar more affordable. The 6" tall standoff and a cone flashing works great but it is tedious, somewhat pricey, and ugly. L-feet might work for a small custom operation with the owner and top installers making all of the penetrations but it is not scalable. All of the larger reputable installation firms I know of here in the Bay Area use fully flashed penetrations. There's no way you could keep multiple crews making hundreds of penetrations a day leak free without flashings. Some companies are developing custom flashing/standoffs in house.

There's no doubt that the major racking manufacturers would be ideal candidates to help with the sealing problem. Anyone from from a racking manufacturer on the list want to chime in?

-August

August Goers

Luminalt Energy Corporation
4000 Irving Street