Poor PV Manufacturers' Customer Support [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Mon Jun 23 20:20:11 PDT 2008

I also think that PV manufacturer oversight is a single issue that
will happen faster if an existing organization and a CPUC champion pushed
for it.

Joel Davidson

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Joel,

I agree with you, but we have been practically begging ANY existing solar related organization to either take us in or help us form a separate trade group that is part of their larger association and nobody seems interested.

SEIA has shown very little interest in anyone operating below the manufacturing level. They do have local chapters that include installers, but they do not seem interested at the top level in anything except lobbist activities. I'm not saying the industry does not need somebody to advance solar at the government level, but I do not see them offering any real support for installers or championing our issues.

Time and again NABCEP has told us they only test solar installer applicants.

I think our host, HomePower Magazine, has been very supportive of installers through this web site and their upcoming free publication for installers only, but I also understand they walk a thin line when we start trashing poor quality products or manufacturers which unfortunately is sometimes needed.

Any chance this new publication could serve as the "seed" for the installers trade group I have been asking for? You know, you are automatically a member of the trade association if you are selected to receive the publication and pay a modest yearly dues, and you become a "senior" member if you are also NABCEP certified, but both are welcome.

Thanks,

Jeff Yago

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com