Kyocera [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 23:49:32 PDT 2008

Larry,

I think you probably are misunderstanding what the CEC does when they "rate"
modules. There is no 3rd party testing required to verify the results on the
CEC website other than a minor amount done by the listing agency. Soon,
modules will have more substantial 3rd party data by the beginning of next
year.

All you get on the CEC website is a calculation based on the manufacturer's
stated power temperature coefficients. The lower the temperature coefficient
the "better" the rating will be on your spreadsheet. You could rank
temperature coefficients and get the exact same ordering of modules. This
does not address at all how close a product is to their nameplate rating.
Some modules can be delivered 10% below nameplate rating but have very good
temperature coefficients. Your list cannot detect this problem.

Japanese modules tend to be closer to their ratings because Sanyo got their
hands severely slapped by the Japanese government for lying on their
performance. This caused all Japanese manufacturers to save face by becoming
more conservative on their ratings. Kyocera, in order to save face, never
admitted that they had a major defect with their KC-120 product, and they
should be called on the carpet for their approach. Saving face is common in
Asia, but in the U.S. we call it dishonesty.

Bill.