SMA inverters & generators [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Tue Jun 3 13:56:09 PDT 2008

I have two larger PV systems with backup generators. Generators are 30kw and
500kw respectively, holding up all loads (no critical load breakout). I was
told by SMA not to allow the inverters to see generator power in the event
of a grid power failure (but I am curious to understand synch if its
practical without frying the inverters)so here's what I did:

1) 10kw pv w/ 30 kw backup generator - tapped inverter output to utility
side of the generator ATS, knowing that ATS contactor was break-before-make
when switching house loads to generator power.
2) 40kw pv w/ 500 kw backup generator - could not do 1) because switchgear
and inverters are located in different buildings / conduit logistics. But
this generator ATS has many SPDT relays which change state when generator
turns on - so we used one to drive the coil of a 480 / 277 three phase
contactor. This disconnects all inverters from the grid whenever the genny
starts, which is weekly for exercise at minimum.

Kirk Herander
Vermont Solar Engineering
802.863.1202
fax 802.863-7908