Fronius inverters - Reliability? [RE-wrenches]

Kirpal Khalsa solarworks at gmail.com
Tue May 27 19:21:32 PDT 2008

Peter.....Hello.....I used to work at Energy Outfitters....we sold a
bunch of different types of inverters minus SMA and every single brand
I would get inquires back regarding the discrepancies between the
"revenue grade meter" and the internal inverter meter......After
talking to Xantrex, Fronius, and PV Powered they all admitted that
they did not have a high grade meters in their internals.
Consistently I got complaints from customers whose customers pointed
out the difference between revenue grade and inverter meters....very
frustrating for an installer to try to explain after they just talked
about all the good stuff on the inverter they are selling....I can't
remember even one instance where the inverter was more conservative
than the revenue grade meter.  10% was a common discrepancy.  I still
haven't heard of any inverter companies addressing this........
There are many jurisdictions that do not require a seperate revenue
grade meter and the customer relies on the inverter to self report its
production........the higher the number the better the inverter
manufacturer looks.......not exactly a neutral party.....

Revenue grade meter included in the inverter would be a good marketing
tool......

--
Sunny Regards,
Kirpal Khalsa