Fronius inverters - Reliability? [RE-wrenches]

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Tue May 27 18:10:24 PDT 2008

I have a question about the accuracy of the "energy supplied (kWh) total"
for Fronius inverters. Does anyone know how it is spec'd and what are the
numbers?

In the Los Angeles DWP territory, we are required to install a "production
meter" in series with the inverter and we regularly use the GE I70S
"odometer" style meter. We buy these from Austin International and they spec
the accuracy of these meters at +/- 0.3%.

I have been regularly seeing discrepancies of up to 10% difference between
inverters and production meters. Usually, the GE meters read low compared
with the inverter.

For example, we have an IG-5100 which now reads 7,250 kWH and a GE meter
that reads 6,560 kWh. The Fronius came reading 6 kWh, presumably due to
bench burn-in testing. The GE unit came reading 9,999.

Information on the accuracy of the Fronius would be great (because in this
case I have a very puzzled customer); and if anyone is accumulating
statistics on inverters vs. production meters in general I would be
interested in what people are finding out.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26