dishwashers/ off grid [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Fri Apr 25 03:38:11 PDT 2008

Hi Jay,

If you want to get _real_ efficiency, you need to look beyond even the high
end Americanized models (like the Bosch) and concentrate on the true
European imports - Asko and Miele and perhaps others.

As with most everything that deals with energy, these (European) folks are
accustomed to paying non subsidized energy prices and are willing to pay
more for something that works well and efficiently. Reportedly, these is
also less restriction on price collusion.

FYI, the heater in most American dishwashers is a single element (often
exposed at the bottom) which does double duty as both a _supplementary_
water heater and air heater (for the drying). This heater can obviously not
be greater than the 15 amp circuit it is plugged into and really has to
share those 15 amps with the motor. Usually it is a 700, or so, watt element
that is theoretically going to bring the incoming 120oF hot water up to 140
where the soap is designed to work and where the _heavy_ grease will
dissolve. If you don't eat a lot of greasy food you might not need the aux
heater for the higher temp water. If you don't supply it with 120 water it
may never reach the 140 and the heavy grease (or dried tomato sauce) may not
dissolve. It is my understanding that the air heater is used to shorten the
drying cycle and is sometimes labeled plate warmer on the control panel.

Does John Schaeffer's ghost writer address any of these issues in his
current Sourcebook? Does anybody else publish something as comprehensive and
current as the Sourcebook?

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar
314 631 1094