XW generator start question [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Fri Apr 25 00:07:54 PDT 2008

Jay,

Yes, the GSM is required to interface a generator to the XW, 2-wire start or
otherwise. The GSM also requires a "generator running" signal in order to
recognize a running generator and hold the 2-wire signal "on". The GSM "run"
sensor circuit requires a 12 volt nominal (30 volts max) signal from the
generator, and requires another 2 wires between the generator and the GSM,
so for a "2-wire" start generator, actually 4 wires are required. Xantrex
has heard the complaints about this loss of a true 2-wire start feature on
the XW, and I understand that there's a software upgrade available that will
allow the GSM to recognize when there's AC line voltage present at the AC
input terminals of the inverter (AC 2 in, I assume). This should eliminate
the need for the 12 volt "run" signal (and the extra 2 wires) from the
generator to the GSM. I haven't tried this upgrade myself. On the one
installation I've worked on, I ran the additional 2 wires, and piggy-backed
off of one of the propane solenoids for the 12 volt "run" signal. The GSM
works fine this way.

I hope that helps.

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.